Yoshinobu Kawahara received his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Engineering from The University of Tokyo, Japan, in 2003, 2005 and 2008, respectively.
He is currently a Professor at Institute of Mathematics for Industry (IMI), Kyushu University (Fukuoka, Japan). He is also a Team Leader of Structured Learning Team at RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (RIKEN AIP). He was a Visiting Research Scientist at Max Planck Institute for Empirical Inference (Tübingen), and a Visiting Professor at MELODI Lab. (lead by Prof. J.A. Bilmes) at University of Washington (Seattle). He received the best paper award from the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence in 2011, and awarded The Young Scientists’ Prize, The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan in 2020.
His research interests include statistical machine learning and its applications to scientific and engineering fields. And, he currently serves as an Action Editor of Neural Networks (Elsevier), and has been a member of Program Committees / Senior Program Committees / Area Chairs at several top-tier conferences in the related fields of computer science, including ICML, AAAI, IJCAI, AISTATS, KDD and NeurIPS.
- 2003/03 Bachelor in Engineering, The University of Tokyo
- 2005/03 Master in Engineering, The University of Tokyo
- 2008/03 Ph.D. in Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Employment & Education History
- 2008/04 Postdoctoral Researcher, Global COE Project, Tokyo Institute of Technology (2009/09)
- 2009/10 Assistant Professor, The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University (2013/03)
- 2010/10 PRESTO Researcher, Japan Science and Technology Agency (Concurrent post, 2014/03)
- 2013/04 Associate Professor, The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University (2019/03)
- 2016/09 Team Leader, RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (Concurrent post, present)
- 2018/04 Visiting Associate Professor, Graduate School of System Informatics, Kobe University (Visiting Professor since 2019/04, present)
- 2019/04 Professor, Institute of Mathematics for Industry, Kyushu University (present)
- 2010/12 2011 Best Paper Award, The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence
- 2014/12 NIPS 2014 Outstanding Reviewer Award
- 2019/07 IJCNN 2019 Best Student Paper Award
- 2020/04 The Young Scientists’ Prize, The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- 2020/07 35th (2020) Best Paper Award, The Japanese Society of Microscopy
- 2020/09 2020 Best Paper Award, Japanese Neural Network Society